Please review the following frequently asked questions. If you cannot find an answer below
please contact us via email on email@example.com. For urgent queries please call
us on 0419 793 285.
Q1. How do I list my property?
- You will need to create a owner profile on our website, logging in and accepting the
terms and conditions.
- Below is a check list of what you will need to list your property as quickly as possible:
- Driver’s licence and a certificate of holiday home registration from your local council,
if required. If not your drivers licence and rates notice.
- Knowledge of how many guests you can accommodate, number of rooms,
bathrooms and beds there are in your property. This includes the bed configuration
ie. How many king beds/queen beds etc.
- Property’s address
An understanding of what facilities are in your house, what attractions are nearby
and what “theme” your house would best cater for ie. Family/luxury etc.
- Photos of your property.
- A description of your property that sells your property to your potential guests. What
is it about your house that makes it special? What can you tell your guests to make
them want to stay at your property? You can copy and paste these descriptions from
one website to another if that is easiest for you.
- The name you want for your house. This will be what your guests will know your
- Have an idea of what rule you want to set for your property ie. Children welcome,
- Know how many days notice you need before a guest can stay at your home.
- What is the earliest check-in time and the latest CHECK IN time guests can check in
- What cancellation policy you want for your property
- Minimum and maximum nights you want your guests to stay
- Base price you are wanting to rent your property for. Any periods you would like
“special pricing” to be charged and what this pricing will be. There is no limit to the
number of special pricing periods you add for your house.
- The cleaning price you want to charge your guest (if any)
- The bond you want to charge your guest (if any)
- Any discounts you wish to provide for weekly/monthly stays
- Any instructions you have for your cleaner
- Decide if you would like your guests to be able to book instantly or not. Or whether
you would prefer they have to contact you first.
- Understanding of local laws/tax implications for your holiday home
- Your Australian bank details where you wish to receive your rental income.
- Press “create a listing”
- Select what type of property you are listing: - house or bed and breakfast and hit the
- Select how many guests are able to stay at your property. If you are required to
register with your local council, this will be no higher than the maximum number of
guests you are registered for. Then press the next button.
- Select the number of bedrooms your property has, then hit the next button
- Select the number of beds available to your guests and write the number of each bed
type ie. King Bed 1, King Single Bed 3, Single bed 4. Please note you don’t have to
enter a zero value in these bed fields. Only enter a number if you have those beds in
your house. Hit the next button once these fields have been completed
- Select how many bathrooms are available and hit the next button.
- Enter your address and select from the drop down options. Double check to ensure it
is the right address ie. Suburb and Australia.
- Move the location pin slightly to confirm your address. A green banner will appear
when the pin has registered, hit the next button.
- Go through and tick the boxes that best reflect your property’s amenities that your
house offers. Headings include:. Outdoor, laundry, kitchen, heating/cooling, pools etc.
Then hit the next button.
- Tick the boxes that best reflect the amenities nearby your house. We suggest these
attractions be no more than 10minutes away. All tick the boxes, under “themes” that
reflect the best type of holidays your house caters for. Then hit the next button
- Hit continue button under “set the scene”
- Upload your property’s photos. The easiest way to do this, if you have listed on other
booking platforms is to visit the other site, download your photos and then upload
them on to our website. Guests love to see the bedrooms, kitchen facilities, living
areas and gardens of potential homes, so they know what to expect when they get
there. The more attractive the photos, the better. The more photos you have the better
it will be for your guests.
- Choose which photo will be your profile photo. This photo will be the first photo
potential guests see of your property. It should be eye catching and appealing.
- Write a description for your property. What is it about your house that makes it
special? What can you tell your guests to make them want to stay at your property?
You can copy and paste these descriptions from one website to another if that is
easiest for you. You should personalise it for our website to ensure Google doesn’t
pick it up a “copy and paste job”, press the next button.
- Enter your house’s name. Then press next button.
- Hit the continue button under the “Get ready for guests” button.
- Read the review guest requirements, hit the next button
- Tick the boxes of which house rules apply to your house, hit the next button
- Read how the guests can book instantly (if you choose this option), hit the next button
- Select the number of days notice you need before a guest can stay at your property.
You will also need to check the earliest time guests can check in to your property and
the latest check in time. Hit the next button
- Select your booking calendar preference ie. Do you want your dates unavailable by
default? What cancellation policy suits your home? Make sure you read all three
cancellation options to choose the best one for your house, hit next button.
- Select the minimum and maximum nights guests can stay and hit the next button.
- Enter your base price amount for your property. This will be the nightly charge for your
property unless you enter special pricing information.
- If you want to charge guests more at certain periods in the year ie. Summer school
holidays and April school holidays, you can enter some “special pricing”. To do this
you press on “special pricing”, enter the first day you want to start the special pricing
from and then select the last date for your special pricing period. Enter the amount per
night you wish to charge your guests during this time. To enter more than one special
pricing period, just press on the “add special pricing” button again and repeat the
process. There is no limit to the number of special pricing ranges you can create for
- Enter the amount you need to charge your guests for cleaning (if any), and the bond (if
any). We would suggest that your bond be no higher than the excess of your
insurance policy. Just enough to give you peace of mind in the result of damage by the
guest. Then press the next button.
- Decide if you want to offer any discounts for weekly stays or monthly stays. Enter
these percentages in the field and press next.
- If you have a cleaner and wish to leave instructions for them, please do so here.
These are static instructions for all stays. If you want to change the instructions per
stay, you will need to log in and change these on the website.
- Select if you would like your guests to be able to book instantly or not and then press
- Familiarise yourself with the applicable laws and taxes that apply to your holiday
home. It is very important that you make yourself aware of any local laws governing
holiday homes in your area and the tax implications of holiday house rentals. Once
you have understood this information, press next.
- Payment information – you must enter your Australia bank account details where you
wish to receive your rental payments. We cannot transfer funds to an international
Q2. Do we automatically refund bonds to guests?
We hold the guests for 7 days after the last day of your guests stay. If you wish to withhold
the bond you must let us know before this time, as soon as possible so we can stop the
automatic bond refund from occurring. We do not mediate in bond disputes. You will need to
contact the guest directly to inform them of why you wish to keep the bond. Return of the
bond amounts is based on the your (the owner's) terms and conditions and your inspection of the property after your stay.
Q3. How do I improve my holiday homes listing ranking?
- Listings are currently on a first in basis. The sooner you list your property, the higher
up the rankings it will list for your particular area (within 8 miles/13km of the search
area).Where your home ranks also depends on whether it meets the search criteria
entered by the guest. This ranking system is subject to change and we will notify you,
if we change the ranking system.
- Regardless of listing rank, there are a number of things to ensure you maximise your
houses appeal to guests:
- Respond to your guests within 24 hours (the sooner the better)
- Once you have made a booking, honour it. Do not cancel on guests
- Accept all booking requests (where practical)
- Describe your property accurately, so guests’ expectations are met when they stay
at your property.
- Set your property price at a reasonable level given comparable houses and season
- Do extra small things for your guests, to show you care and encourage the highest
Q4. Do I need to charge a bond?
No you do not have to charge your guests a refundable bond. The refundable bond is to
protect you in the event of your guests damaging your home. Although it is refundable, it is
advisable to keep the bond to the minimum amount you require to ensure you are covered in
the event of damage. We suggest the bond amount reflect the excess payable on your
insurance as a general guide. It should be commensurate with the amount you are charging
though. So if you have a large excess on your insurance policy you may find a smaller bond
amount is more appropriate for your home.
Q5. When do I get my money?
WA HomeStay is committed to helping holiday homeowner’s cash flows. We will be
distributing deposits and full payments into your account within 48 hours of receiving the
funds. This ensures you have access to money that is rightfully yours. However, as you have
now received the money for the booking, you will have to organise refunds if your guests
choose to cancel as per your cancellation policy.
Q6. Should I have a rental agreement?
Sometimes people can interpret things in different ways. Having a rental agreement, which
sets out clear instructions on what you require from the guests, can help lessen the chance of miscommunication. You can forward these rental agreements to your guests once they have
Q7 How long does it take for changes to appear on our website?
Changes to your property details etc will be reflected immediately.
Q8. What fees am I charged for listing on your website?
There are no upfront booking fees for our website. You pay on a “pay-per-booking” basis. For
every booking you receive we will charge you 5% from your nightly rates and additional
extras ie. Cleaning etc (except for bond).
Q9. Can I sync my calendars to other booking sites?
YES! You can sync your calendar with ical calendars eg. Trip Advisor, Air BNB, HomeAway,
Q10. What are the listing guidelines?
You are not allowed to put the following information on your holiday home listing:
- Website information
- Contact information such as email, phone numbers or addresses (unless specifically
requested in form)
- Any company names
- You must also follow our content guidelines (ie. No profane, obscene, inappropriate
Q11. What nightly rates should I charge for my property?
This is an interesting question. You need to do your market research about properties close-
by that have similar attributes. What do they charge? Look into several properties until you
feel like you have a good price when compared to your competitors. Take note of the special
seasons noted for different listings. What do they increase the price to in this period. Then
evaluate what would be best for your house.
Q12. Are there risks for renting out my property as a holiday home?
Yes. There are a number of risks. Guests may damage your property (willingly or unwillingly).
We strongly advise all of our holiday home owners take out insurance to cover themselves in
relation to these risks. This will give you some peace of mind.
Q13. Can I choose who stays at my holiday home?
Yes. By not selecting the instant booking option, you have time to determine if the guest is
going to be the right fit for you and your home.
Q14. When should I provide the guest with check in information?
We require you to contact the guest 7 days before check in to provide them with check in
Q15. What is a strong password for my account?
General tips are for your password to be:
- longer than 8 characters
- a mixture of numbers and letters
- don’t use consecutive numbers/letters
- don’t use commonly used passwords such as “password” or “password123”